State Authorization

State Authorizations Student Complaints for Distance Education State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

SARA states

Marian University is approved by SARA-Midwestern Higher Education Compact (MHEC) to participate in the national Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (MHEC-SARA). MHEC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of postsecondary distance education. A “State authorization reciprocity agreement”, SARA, is an agreement between two or more States that authorizes an institution located and legally authorized in a State covered by the agreement to provide postsecondary education through distance education or correspondence courses to students in other States covered by the agreement.

Grievance Resolution

As required by Federal regulations, Marian University provides for current and prospective student the contact information for filing complaints with the appropriate agency in the state where the student resides. For grievances involving any aspect of your online educational experience:

Marian University strives to providing quality and supportive learning environments, and is committed to responding to complaints promptly. We encourage student to utilize our Academic Grievance Procedure and complete the “Grievance Complaint Information Form,” as outlined in the Marian University Policy Manual. More information can be found in the Marian University Academic Bulletin. This process asks that you first try to reach a resolution with the instructor or other party involved in the issue, before taking the issue to the dean, and finally, Office of Academic Affairs.

R. Brian Olson, PhD
Vice President for Academic Affairs
45 S. National Avenue
Fond du Lac, WI 54935

If Marian University’s resolution procedures do not lead to a satisfactory resolution of the grievance, student may utilize:

MHEC-SARA Complaint Process

Marian University is a member of the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement — Midwestern Higher Education Compact – which is the portal for Wisconsin. Student may follow the MHEC-SARA Complaint Process and visit the portal: to download the complaint form.

. SARA-MHEC does not resolve complaints about student grades and student conduct violation. These complaints fall under the jurisdiction of institutional policy. The contact information for SARA-MHEC is:

Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board
Connie Hutchison, Ph.D.